Perfect Holiday Gift
Some families in our Thornton community are struggling and cannot afford to purchase Christmas gifts or even a holiday meal. You can help! We can connect you to a deserving family. These families have been referred to the program by a participating Case Manager.
- When and where do I drop off the gifts?
- December 16th is our deadline. Please drop off gifts to the Thornton Community Center located at 2211 Eppinger Blvd. in Thornton, CO 80229. Gifts can be dropped off Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. or Saturday 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. at the front desk.
- How much should I spend on each family member? How many gifts should each family member receive?
- We do not set a minimum or a maximum dollar amount or quantity of gifts. You can spend and give whatever you wish. Many donor groups report spending about $40-$50 per person and most will provide an equal number of gifts to each of the children. Many donors donate within a group to lessen the cost. For example, if a family of 4 is requesting Christmas, 4 friends may come together to adopt that family.
- What if I cannot afford to purchase everything on the family's wish list?
- The list is a guide to provide ideas. Please do not feel obligated to check everything off of the list. You might consider partnering with your co-workers, church, or neighbors to adopt a family.
- What kind of a meal should I provide? Can I cook?
- If you decide to provide a meal for a family, please note the following. The number of people in the home is provided and this is helpful when deciding how much food to purchase. Meals prepared in a private kitchen cannot be accepted. Gift cards to grocery stores are a wonderful way to provide a meal or part of a meal. Food storage is available at the Community Center. Generally recipients pick up their Perfect Holiday Gift within 4 days of being contacted, especially if food is included. An example of a Perfect Holiday Gift meal: Frozen turkey, a small bag of potatoes, canned green beans, canned cranberries, canned yams, marshmallows, and a pie.
- Can I adopt more than one family?
- Yes. Adopt as many as you want.
- Can I adopt part of a family?
- No. It would be really difficult for a family if some members were adopted and others were not. We ask that donors commit to adopting the entire family or that they partner with others (neighbors, friends, co-workers, etc.) to make sure the entire family is adopted.
- Do the gifts need to be wrapped?
- No. You can decide to wrap them or our volunteers can wrap them after you drop the gifts off.
- How do I label the gifts?
- The name of the recipient should be included on each gift, whether or not the gift is wrapped. All gifts should also be labeled with the family number. If gifts are placed into boxes or bags, the boxes and bags should also be labeled with the family number.
- Will the family know I contributed to their Perfect Holiday Gift?
- No. Your name and information is kept confidential. Families do receive a coded and postage paid envelope so that they can submit a note of appreciation to our office that we forward to you. Due to the confidentiality of this program, there is no event where donors meet or interact with the family they have adopted.
- Will I receive a donation receipt to claim on my taxes?
- Yes. During gift drop off you will receive a form to be used for tax purposes. These same forms will also be sent in January.
Are you a participating, approved Case Manager? Login to apply on behalf of your clients, and check the status of your clients’ applications.
Case Manager FAQ
- Is the client's information kept confidential?
- Yes. When Case Managers complete an online application, a unique ID is automatically established for each application. All contact information for the client and the Case Manager are removed from public view. The story section and the wish list chart on the application are public. For this reason, you should not use complete first and last names in these sections. The chart indicates you may use pseudo names, initials, or first names. The application does specify on every field, which are public, and which are private so please pay close attention to this.
- Who should I refer?
- Thornton residents. Only City of Thornton residents are eligible to participate. Refer an individual or family that you have been working with and that you feel is deserving of the Perfect Holiday Gift. Participants of all ages are welcome. The submission of applications including children are our most popular picks by donors and are strongly encouraged. All members of the household are eligible to participate.
- How do I know if my application was received?
- You will receive an email confirmation with each application submitted.
- How do I know if my client was adopted?
- You and your clients can check their status anytime by clicking the "Check your Case Status" button under the "Approved Participants" heading. In order to improve efficiency, we ask that you use Perfect Holiday Gift staff contact information as your own resource, and that you please DO NOT share this contact information with clients. High volumes of calls and emails from numerous clients to verify their status, specifics of gifts received, etc. has created significant delays and added to our processing time in previous years. We now use a self-serve system that is accessible online 24/7. We ask that if case manager refer clients who are not computer literate, that the case manager, serve as a liaison, that checks the status and offers an update.
- When are applications due?
- Our goal is to collect applications by November 18, 2016
- When can clients pick up their gifts?
- When the gifts have arrived in our office and are ready for distribution, clients will be contacted using the information included on their application.
- Can I pick up the gifts for my clients?
- Yes, but it is not required. Your clients can pick up their gifts as well. Only a named participant or a case manager listed on the application can pick up and sign for the gifts. Photo ID is required for the pick up.
Please note that the Perfect Holiday Gift program only partners with participating Case Managers that apply on behalf of their clients that are most in need. We welcome you to look into some of these other organizations that may be of assistance using the holiday resources link.
- Are my name and contact information confidentially stored?
- Absolutely. We use numbers in place of your personal information. Case Managers are asked to omit names from the parts of the application which are public (wish list and story).
- How do I know if I have been adopted?
- Check your status anytime by clicking the "Check your Case Status" button under the "Approved Participants" heading.
- Will my family get everything that we listed?
- No, not necessarily. The list serves as a guide, or suggestion list. The donors that are shopping for your family will decide how much of their money to spend and which gifts, including meals, to purchase.
- I requested a meal. Can dietary restrictions be accommodated?
- If you have allergies or dietary restrictions, please ask your case manager to list this on the application in the story section.
- Will the gifts be wrapped?
- Yes, the gifts will be wrapped and labeled with family member's names.
- When can I pick up my gifts?
- We will notify you of a pickup time. When the gifts have arrived in our office and are ready for distribution, clients will be contacted using the information included on their application. Gifts will be picked up from 2211 Eppinger Blvd in Thornton, CO 80229
- How can I thank my donor?
- When gifts are picked up, a blue envelope will be provided. The envelope is already addressed and postage has been paid. It is coded so that when we receive it in our office, we know which donor contributed the gifts. We will forward your message to the donor on your behalf.
- Can my Case Manager pick up my gift?
- Yes. Case Managers listed on the application can pick up and sign for the gifts when they are available. Case Managers must have a photo ID.